Couscous isn’t just a dinner food. Try it for breakfast!
1/2 cups water
2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar or honey (to taste)
3 tablespoons chopped dried apricots
2 tablespoons currants or raisins
1 cup couscous
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, to taste
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 navel oranges
6 dates, pitted and cut in quarters lengthwise
1. Combine the water and brown sugar or honey in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to medium, and boil gently until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the chopped apricots and the raisins or currants, and set aside for five minutes.
2. Place the couscous in a 2-quart bowl, and add the cinnamon and salt. Stir together. Pour on the hot syrup. Mix together with a fork, spatula or wooden spoon, and set aside for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. At this point, if not eating right away, cover and refrigerate.
3. Shortly before serving, steam the couscous by placing the couscous in a microwave covered by plastic wrap. Microwave for two minutes. Microwave for another two minutes. Remove the plastic, being careful of the steam in the bowl.
4. Peel the skin off of the orange and cut out the orange slices.
5. Pile the couscous into a bowl and decorate with orange sections and date slices and serve.
Serves four to six.